Wednesday, March 21, 2012

SxSW Day 3

Sunday, March 11

Panels

Digial Sport: Know More, Do More

I would have never gone to this panel if my brother hadn't mentioned it. Late night talk show host and SNL alumnus, Jimmy Fallon, hosted a session to discuss the intersection of fitness and mobile. Nike was there in there in force.

It was surprisingly entertaining, with Jimmy's razor sharp wit on full display. At the very end he challenged one person from the audience to a race. The challenge was accepted and they actually did race. Unfortunately, a finger fart resulted in my not getting the video with my phone.

Films

The Hunter

My appetite for films was in full swing, and I started out my butt-numb-athon at the Paramount, in the afternoon with The Hunter. It featured Willem DaFoe as the lead, and was shot on location in Tasmania. I really like this film, and must say that perhaps I need to add Tasmania to my bucket list of places to visit.



The line for "The Hunter"

Willem DaFoe arrives at the Paramount.
Willem DaFoe arrives at the Paramount

Q and A after the movie.
The Hunter

Marley

The second film of the day at the Paramount was the Bob Marley documentary. If there's one thing I enjoy, it's a well made biographical documentary. Particularly when the subject is a musician. This is something that SxSWf seems to excels at. This movie didn't disappoint either. Well done!



Ziggy Marley and the Director field questions during the Q and A.

Marley Q and A

The Raid: Redemption

The last film of the night was creating a small buzz during the festival. It was a martial arts film by the same producers that did Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. In this case, the heros (or perhaps anti-heros) were some gentlemen that were very proficient Silat practitioners.

The action is over the top, but simultaneously jaw dropping. When the final credits began to roll, I realized that I had scored a hat-trick with my selections.



The Raid: Redemption Q and A


No comments: