Friday, July 19, 2013

The Psychedelic Furs at Antones

New Location on Riverside

Several months ago, I was surprised to hear that Antones would be moving from the 5th and Lavaca location, to Riverside Drive. This is the third location for Antones, since I moved to Austin in '93.

Antones moved next door to the new Emo's location. Both clubs now sit in the same plaza that once housed the Backroom.

I arrived early and took a look around. To be honest, I wasn't crazy about Antone's new layout. It is two stories now, and feels a little a bit more cramped. I think it holds more people, but I can't say for sure.

By the end of the show Thursday, I was on the fence about whether I liked the new venue. The sound wasn't terrible, but it wasn't stellar, either. There were a limited number of seats and tables upstairs, but these appeared to be available on a first-come, first-served basis. The club is mainly a standing-room, GA environment. I ended up standing in front of the railing, on the first floor, right next to the soundboard.

The Technicolors

The opening act was from Phoenix, AZ. They were a Pop oriented Rock band, that I could best describe as Tonic, with Jeff Buckley as the lead singer.

They played a solid set of original material. To be honest, I may have enjoyed the opening act more than the headliner. I estimate the Technicolors played about a 50 minute set.

The lead singer was very talented, and had an impressive amount of charisma and stage presence. The band was very tight, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear more from them, in the future. These guys are definitely on their way up.

The Psychedelic Furs

The Psychedelic Furs

I've always considered the Psychedelic Furs to be one of the prototypical,Post-Punk, New Wave bands of the late 70's. I wasn't a huge fan, but always respected the poetry and lyrics of frontman, and singer, Richard Butler. These days, their shows are dangerously close to State Fair territory.

After a bit of a wait for the stage to be reconfigured, the Furs went on stage a approximately 10:20, if I remember correctly. I estimate that they played a single, 90 minute set.

The Psychedelic Furs

Lineup

The only original members left in the band are the Butler brothers, Richard and Tim. The rest of the band were the typical young, musical mercinaries you hire to go on tour.

  • Richard Butler (vocals)
  • Tim Butler (bass)
  • Rich Good (guitar)
  • Mars Williams (saxophone)
  • Amanda Kramer (keyboards)
  • Paul Garisto (drums)

Set List

Not surprisingly, the Furs played all of their hits. By the time I had arrived home, I noticed that someone had already posted a setlist, here.

It was good night of music, but I found that Richard's vocal timbre starting to wear thin on me, at the end of the first hour. The only other downer was the two couples standing next me. They were drunk and stoned out of their gourds, and felt it necessary to regale us with their spastic, interpretive, dance routine. I wouldn't have noticed, if elbow room hadn't have been in such short supply.

No comments: