Friday, March 15, 2013

SxSW 2013 - Day 8

Conversation: Bootsy Collins and Chuck D

What better way to start off the morning than an interview with Bootsy Collins? The man played with James Brown and George Clinton, what else do you need to know?

Bootsie Collins interviewed by Chuch D

Interview: The Zombies

The next panel was an interview with 2 more legends, Rod Argent and Colin Blunstone, about their band, the Zombies. In hindsigt, I really regret was not getting over to their showcase.

Zombies Interview

Iron and Wine

After two excellent interviews, I cruised by the day stage and caught a great singer-songwriter act, Iron and Wine.

Iron and Wine

Pulenta

Walking over to the International Stage, I caught a few songs from an excellent Argentinian band, Pulenta.

Pulenta

APIs: How Do We Foster and Support Competition In A Highly Competitive Sandbox

I wish I could say I heard some encouraging things at this panel. It seems however, that the music industry remains at an impasse.

APIs

Pickwick

Back to the day stage for a pop band with a Retro sound, and some very good keyboard work. They were from Seattle and were called Pickwick.

Pickwick

Shout Out Out Out Out

I didn't get to see Savage, a band recommended by Sound Opinion's, Jim DeRegotis. However, he also recommended this band, and their homage to Kraftwerk, among others.

Shout Out Out Out Out

Berklee Party

I stopped briefly by Brush Creek Park tent to catch some of the Berklee School of Music Party.

Brushy Creek Party

Twenty Feet from Stardom

This day went by fast, but it didn't matter, because it led up to the best Film of SxSW for me, as well as one of the finest musical experiences. Twenty Feet from Stardom is an unbelievably good film. Strangely, the Paramount was only 3 quarters full, but the people behind said, to trust them, something very wonderful was going to happen after the screening.

In a nutshell, this film follows the history and careers of several acclaimed backup singers. As the movie progresses, you realize that you have heard every singer in the film, and they have appeared on your favorite songs.

During the documentary, one of the singers noted that Most people sing along with the backup singers, when they sing along to their favorite songs. So true!

Twenty Feet From Stardom

After the screening was over, two of the stars of the film performed on stage at the Paramount. All I can say is that Judith Hill and Darlene Love knocked the audience on their collective asses. The took us in a musical rapture.

Judith Hill


Judith Hill

Darlene Love


Darlene Love

Sallie Ford & the Sound Outside

Leaving the Paramount, I walked over to Antones to check it out for the first time during SxSW. Normally, I would have dug a roots rock effort like Sallie Ford and the Outside. However, I was still recovering from Judith Hill and Darlene Love.

Sallie Ford & the Sound Outsdie

Charlie Mars

I decided to close out the night at the Central Presbyterian Church, another great listening venue. I had heard Charlie Mars last year at the same venue. I enjoyed him then, and this time.


Natalie Maines with Ben Harper

Staying put, I didn't realize at first that it was Natalie Maines (of Dixie Chicks fame), because she had her hair cut short and dyed black. She was joined on stage by a very good male singer, who also played lap steel guitar. It turned out that it was Ben Harper.

The set was a eclectic mix of things with a strong Americana feel. One of the highlights was her cover of Pink Floyd's, Mother, from the Wall. The other highlight was her being joined on stage by her father Lloyd Maines, pedal steel player extraordinaire.

I guess I lucked out on this venue choice.

Natalie Maines

No comments: