Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Devo and Blondie at Stubbs

Devo

I bought these tickets a while ago, even though I wasn't thrilled about the venue, Stubbs BBQ. I'm always up for seeing the Spudboys from Akron, they are one of my favorite bands and I've seen them many times over the past 35 years.

For this show, Devo were the openers. I'm not sure if they are switching off with Blondie or not. The lineup is still the Mothersbaugh and Casale brothers, and Jeff Friedl on drums. Unfortunately, with a split bill like this, their set list was shorter than normal.

Devo at Stubbs

The only other comment I have, is that the doors opened at 6:30PM, and Devo started fairly early.

Blondie

So, during my punk rock days in high school (the late '70's if you must) I bought a copy of Parallel Lines, when it was first released. While I had always enjoyed the album, I had never seen the band live, nor listened to any subsequent releases.

Debbie Harry is now 67 years of age, is in better shape than some 30 years old I have seen. Her backing band included:

  • Chris Stein - original member and current guitartist
  • Clem Burke - original member and current drummer
  • Leigh Fox - bass
  • Matt Katz-Bohen - keys
  • Tommy Kesseler - guitar

I enjoyed the second set, which you can find listed here. Although I took several pictures with the iPhone, none of them were clear.

I had a great time, but I was surprised at the fact that I was leaving the venue at 10:30. Well within the noise ordinance limits.


No comments: