Saturday, April 09, 2011

Heart at the Moody Theater

They say the first step, is admitting you have a problem.

Reading this blog, you'll may notice that I have spent quite a bit of time at the Moody Theater in the past 11 days. Since it opened in February, I have already been to 6 shows at ACL Live. As the Central Scrutinizer would note, Once again, we see music causing big trouble.

At the last minute, 1AM after the Jeff Beck show to be exact, I decided that I needed to get in touch with my inner couger and purchased a ticket to see Heart. As luck would have it, I was able to obtain a Mezzanine seat. So, I have hit for the cycle at the Moody, having now sat on all 3 of its levels.

This was a bucket list show for me. I grew up hearing the Wilson sisters, and figured I should see them at least once in my lifetime.
Riding down with my friends Ron and Alissa, we headed over to theater, after dinner at Jo's. On arriving, it appeared that the show was a sellout. The opening act, Electric Touch, started promptly at 8PM. They were good, but I'm not sure I would run out to go see them again. Electric Touch
Heart eventually took the stage at around 9:15 PM, with some sort of Celtic drone going on in the background. Their recent band lineup consists of the following musicians:

  • Ben Smith - Drums
  • Craig Bartock - Guitar
  • Debbie Shair - Keyboards, synthesizers
  • Kristian Attard - Electric bass guitar
I didn't realize until I consulted wikipedia, that the band will be celebrating their 40th anniversary in just 2 years, 2013. If you know the band, you'll know that Ann and Nancy themselves, are the only original and constant members of the band. In everyone's mind, Ann and Nancy Wilson and Heart are synonymous.

The show was as I expected. The Wilsons are still able to perform and sound just as good now, as they always have. The setlist was similar to this one posted on setlist.fm, with the exception that I can recall, being that they played 2 Zeppelin covers during the first encore, and did not play Love Reign O'er Me.

Here's a few pictures that I took. You can see some additional photos over at the ACL Live site.
Heart Heart Heart

A Retro Moment

The coupe de grace for me was seeing someone actually lifting a lighter, calling for the encore.
Heart

No comments: