Friday, November 07, 2008

Allan Holdsworth at the Continental Club, Austin

Thanks to a heads-up from my friends, Ron and Alissa, I found out about this show Thursday night featuring Allan Holdsworth, Chad Wackerman and Jimmy Johnson. I was very excited to see this show, because I haven't seen Allan live in almost 20 years.

I arrived at 7:30PM to a 3 quarters filled Continental Club, and many musicians in the audience. The band started promptly at 8PM, with Allan humorously complaining about not having time to go back to the hotel and shower, and admitting to some nervousness, after getting a rousing ovation as the band took the stage.

I estimate that the band played 90 minutes. Here is a partial setlist, I wish I could remember the remainder of the set.

  • The Fifth
  • Fred
  • Water on the Brain
  • ...
  • Red Alert (to close the show).

During the show Allan mentioned that he wished he could be out in the audience, enjoying the music and an ale. Afterwards, the entire band was available to meet and greet the audience at the merchandise table. I let Allan know how much I enjoyed hearing him play the material from Believe It, Jimmy Johnson immediately piped up and informed me that he enjoys hearing it too!

My only regret is that fellow Lifetime band-mate, Alan Pasqua was not on this tour, because last year's DVD from Yoshi's doing much of this same material is even more outstanding (hard as that may be to believe).

Allan Holdsworth, Downtown, Nov 7, 2008

No comments: