Friday, September 14, 2007

ACL Day 1

Well I just returned from my first grueling day at the Austin City Limits Festival. I'm covered with sweat, tired and have blisters on my feet. I saw the following bands:

  • One Mississippi
  • The Greyhounds
  • Asleep at the Wheel with Austin Celebrity, Ray Benson
  • Jesse Malin
  • Heartless Bastards
  • Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
  • Blonde Redhead
  • Big Sam's Funky Nation
  • Joss Stone
  • Spoon
  • Andy Palacio and the Garfina Collective
  • Queens of the Stone Age
  • Gotan Project
  • The Killers

For me the highlights of the day were Bela Fleck, Gotan, Big Sam's, and Andy Palacio. Bela and company are still amazing, with Future Man appearing to have some new tricks. At times during their set, he now plays a traditional drum kit with his right arm and foot, while keeping his left hand on the Drumitar. All I can say is wow!

Gotan was another surprise. They're a unique fusion of Tango, Nu Jazz, and Electronica. They drew a big crowd and with good reason. The other two bands were Funk/Gospel groups that just kicked ass, and took no prisoners. Everyone was bopping along.

I enjoyed the rest of the day. Although I would be hard pressed to say what I liked about Hearrtless Bastard and One Mississippi. The Killers were good, but had a larger buzz than I thought they deserved. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about.

I had wanted to see Bjork, but found myself too tired to last it out for the end of the night show. I know now that I will be exhausted when ACL ends in two nights.

The Calm Before the Storm

Asleep at the Wheel


Bela Fleck and the Flecktones setting up

No comments: