Thursday, March 14, 2013

SxSW 2013 - Day 7

Black Violin

On the way into Ballroom D, for Dave Grohl's Keynote Speech, there was an amazing band playing called Black Violin. The core of the band is a violin and viola player from South Florida. When they finished, the entire packed Ballroom gave them a standing ovation.

Later in the week, I actually got to speak to the leader of the group, "Kev Marcus" Sylvester, and found out they went to the U. They are a very talented group, and I have a feeling that we will be hearing more from them, in the future.

Black Violin

Dave Grohl Keynote Speech

Unlike Bruce last year, the main take away from this speech that I got was that Grohl still approaches music with same sense of wonderment and awe, that he did before he wss famous. Needless to say, I left the Ballroom wanting to make music again.

Dave Grohl

In Your Dreams - Stevie Nicks

This was the first stinker for a music documentary. I went into this screening expecting to see a documentary about Stevie's life, and showing intimate details of her creative process.

Instead, this film was a 1980's MTV video, a promotion for selling her latest album. Nothing felt real in this film, most scenes seemed staged and contrived. I was really annoyed by this to be honest, and expected more. (Perhaps if I hadn't already seen Muscle Shoals, Sound City and the Punk Singer, my expectations would have been lower).

In Your Dreams - Stevie Nicks

In Your Dream Trailer



Delorentos

While over in the Convention Center, I stopped by the Day Stage and caught a fairly good, Pop band from Dublin, Ireland, Delorentos.

Delorentos


Stevie Nicks Interview

Just to give things a fair shake, after a sub-par film, I decided to go to Stevie's Interview. This was a bit better, but I still couldn't shake the feeling that all of the questions had been approved by her publicist, beforehand.

Stevie Nicks Interview

Before There Was Punk There Was A Band Called Death

I was glad to put things back on track, with another excellent music documentary. I have been aware of Death for several years, and actually had their album. The story of the rediscovery of this band is amazing, and just adds to the legend.

Death

Ray Wylie Hubbard

Randomly walking into the Stage on Sixth, I just happend to find Ray Wylie Hubbard. Typically, I try to avoid local acts, but Ray was mowing them down on this occasion, so I stayed.

Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jason Monseur's band at the Dogwood

Walking west down 6th street, I headed towards the Dogwood, a non-official SxSW venue, to see a friend from Atlanta, from the TOAPP Camp, Jason Monseur, who was playing drum with his band. They played a set of Electronic dance music that was very solid. Unfortunately, the entire card at the Dogwood was running an hour late, so I couldn't stay for Jason's whole set.

Prior to Jason's band, there was another band, Skin, that was very good. I was really taken with their bas player, a young African-American woman that played her Fender Precision Bass in a manner reminiscent of Daryl Jones. She was a bad ass.

Jason Monseur

Death

During the documentary screening, it was announced that Death would be performin at the 10Oaks. This was obviously something that I couldn't miss, so I ended the night at their gig.

Death

No comments: