Wednesday, March 13, 2013

SxSW 2013 - Day 6

Panel: Top Ten Web Music Companies of 2013

This was my first music panel of 2013. I wanted to hear about something fresh and new. Unfortunately, I really didn't. The Music Industry is still lost and wondering in the desert.

The Top Ten Web Music Companies of 2013

Finding the Funk

Another great music documentary. It has Sly, George Clinton, Bootsie Collins, and Bernie Worrell. Parliament, Funkadelic, and the Ohio Players all in one movie! Need I say more?

I defy anyone to go see this movie, and try to not tap their feet. It isn't possible.

Finding the Funk

Finding the Funk Trailer



Canadian Music Party

After the movie, I made my way back to the Convention Center area, and checked out the Canadian Music Party in the Brush Creek park.

Canadian Music Party

Canadian Party

Nick Lowe Panel

Heading inside, I caught a panel with included Ron Sexsmith, Kathy Valentine, and Chris Stamey about the music of Nick Lowe. What made this extra special, was that each artist got up and played their favorite Nick Lowe song. Just heavenly.

In the photo below, you can see Ron Sexsmith taking his shot, at the mic.

Nick Lowe Panel

Depeche Mode Interview

I had pencilled this interview in, on my schedule in advance. It was what I expected. I was hoping I would have a stroke of luck, and also win the lottery for the small show they were putting on in the Brazos theater, on Friday.

I found the band to be surprisingly unpretentious and very accessible, as did the rest of the crowd, I'm fairly sure.

Depeche Mode

Sound City

Another fantastic documentary, about another legendary recording studio. This time it was Sound City, in Van Nuys, CA with its legendary Neve Console.

I'll be honest, I was never a Nirvana fan. However, after seeing Dave Grohl multiple times, I have a new found respect for him. He gets it, and only someone who got it would have been able to produce a film like this. I would love to have a beer or two with him some time.

Let me just say that all of these documentaries about recording studios has really gotten my creative juices flowing again.

Dave Grohl discusses his film

Sound City Trailer



Olafur Arnalds

After leaving the Paramount for the Sound City screening, I headed towards my favorite showcase venue, St. David's Bethel Hall, a fantastic listening room. When I arrived, there was a 3 piece ensemble (piano, violin, and cello). Their original compositions mixed chamber music with some atmospheric electronic music

I found the harmonic rhythm of this music to be painfully slow. Given my sleep deprived state, had some difficulty, staying awake during their performance.

Olafur Arnalds

A.J. Croce

The next act at Bethel was fantastic, it was Jim Croce's son. A.J. Croce is a singer songwriter par excellence, with an outstanding voice, and impressive chops on both piano and guitar.

They say the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Well, in this case, the apple is right next to the trunk. During the set A.J. performed his father's song, Operator. As A.J. performed, it seemed as though Jim had crawled out of the grave, and was standing there. My friends all commented that the experience gave them goosebumps.

Summing this showcase up in one word, it would be, Wow!

A. J. Croce

Chris Stamey and Tosca Strings

Former Alex Chilton collaborator and Southern alt-pop, godfather, Chris Stamey, had the last set at the Bethel, with the Tosca String quartet. This was a very enjoyable set of music, and was the perfect material for this room.

Chris Stamey with Tosca Strings

No comments: